Monday, April 9, 2012

Donations


Talking about Non-Profits in my Social Entrepreneur class and working in a Non-Profit has me thinking a lot about donations. Research shows that 80% of donations come from individuals. So the question here is what makes people donate? The answer to this question is highly related to consumer behavior.


Do you donate to a non-profit? Whether it be time or money, there is a driving factor that causes people to donate. I'd say that although donating gives the donor a warm fuzzy feeling, there is more that goes into the decision about who and how much to donate.

My most recent donation was to an organization that I cannot even recall the name. I was walking through the Student Union Building (SUB) and someone grabbed me and gave their pitch for their organization. I let them talk them donated without even asking further questions. How did I make such an impulsive donation?

Was I feel generous or did I really connect with their mission? Well, based on the fact that I barely remember the mission, I'm assuming I was feeling generous. But, this is not what keeps people donating.

People work hard for their money and can be selfish when spending it, yet many don't hesitate to support a local non-profit. Especially when the organization manages connect to the donor on a personal level. Or, when the organization shows a real impact in the community. I was told by a professional fundraiser that, "people donate not because an organization has a need, but because the organization meets a need." I think she nailed it. People donate to make a real impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment