Thursday, March 29, 2012

Grocery Store Avoidance

http://thetalkingmirror.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/grocery-store.jpg
I can openly admit that I avoid grocery shopping at all cause. I get so overwhelmed in the grocery store. Grocery shopping is a skill that I'm lacking in. It takes experience and cooking knowledge to have a successful trip to the store.

Ideally, a consumer grocery shops about once a week to get food that they are committing to eat for the next week. I bounce around from isle to isle trying to find things. I never know the best way to go about the trip. Ideally, it makes most sense to know what you need from each isle and work your way through the store. But, when you never know what you want or where it is a problem develops.

Just writing this is making me frustrated. If I were to be observed in a grocery store for market research it would become very obvious to the researcher that I'm a complete idiot in the store.

Then, once I decide on something I need, it doesn't reach my basket until I've carefully compared prices with every item on the shelf. Even when it makes it in my basket, I still manage to pull things out at the end.

The worst part of the whole trip is checkout. The dreaded mess of people in the front of the store all waiting to check out at the same time. How is it that when walking into the store there is no one at the checkout, but when its time to checkout, the lines are packed. After patiently waiting in line, sometimes even to service yourself (Self-checkouts could be a totally separate rant), the total appears on the screen. Ah! I hate that part. How is it that 10 items add up to $40?

Evidence that I'm not the only one who feels the pressure of grocery shopping is all over the place. There are even grocery list apps available for smartphones--perhaps this is yet another reason why I should finally bite the bullet and get one.

Although I'm aware that grocery shopping is something I will always have to deal with, I don't think I will ever like it. As a matter of fact, I think I will add grocery shopping as a criteria when choosing a husband. Until then, happy shopping to me and all the other gorcery shopping haters out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment