Sunday, January 29, 2012

Just a Little More

The mentality of spending "just a little more" on a purchase has quickly diminished my funds. After a class discussion on the topic last week, I took a moment to reflect on my own behaviors. I regret to admit, I've been guilty of this mentality. Examples of my "just a little more" mentality are endless, but I'd like to share my most expensive one.

MY NEW CAR!



In December I had my first experience of purchasing a new (to me) car from a selection. My past two cars were purchased with no selection because I came across good deals. In the process I was bombarded by pushy sales people who all wanted my hard-earned cash. I had set a strict budget for myself. I made promises to myself to not exceed my limit. I was feeling pretty headstrong about my decision until I came across the car of my dreams.

Never in a million years did I think I would be able to own such a beautiful car while in college. I felt all my willpower disappear as I looked at the price tag--$600 over budget. Suddenly all the excuses and justifications started rolling through my mind.

  • A year from now, the extra money spent will be worth it.
  • I'm already spending a lot, a few extra hundred will be fine. 
  • The car is worth the extra cash.
  • But the seats are HEATED!
I knew the moment I was handed the keys for a test drive that my purchase was going to come in over budget. The car had to be mine. Every mile I drove, I fell deeper and deeper in love. By the time I got back to the dealership it was clear the car was sold.

I don't regret my purchase. I think that if the experience taught me anything it would be that    I'm doomed when it comes time to purchase a home. 

Image Credit: http://www.admiralmotors.com/chicago/2002_Volkswagen_Passat_GLX_01_11349cdf563c9c1338318eb2c09a51bb.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment